.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

(Argh!) Borrowed laptops with jammed buttons.

c2011 (S)

(Argh!)

I’m not using my regular machine here today. The trouble with a borrowed laptop is that I can’t put a CD in it, and therefore I can’t work on my new novel. I’m hoping to get my computer back in a few days, or maybe another used one, which will cost money.

If I end up with another used machine, if the programming is all different, it might take a few weeks to figure out where everything is and what all the buttons on the toolbar are for.

The frustration of waiting is a factor, the uncertainty is a factor, and the big concern is that some things on the hard-drive will be missing, although I do burn backup CD’s from time to time. I’m moving in a couple of days, and I haven’t even arranged for internet service. That’s for two reasons. One; I don’t know if or when I will have a machine, and two; there is the whole ‘bundling’ of services thing. So that means no phone or cable in my new place until I get with the program.

With a screwed-up vehicle, back problems and no money, of course moving is another potential nightmare. It doesn’t make sense to fill up the last two boxes and then just sit in relative discomfort and stew for the next forty-eight hours.

It’s cold. It’s really cold for late June, and I for one am sick of it. All that bike riding yesterday took a lot out of me, but it’s just too cold to go anywhere today.

I have too much time to think today. One of the buttons on this laptop is jammed. Try writing your way around that one! They say Winston Churchill had a lisp, and wrote his speeches to avoid the letter ‘s’ as much as possible. I don’t think it’s even possible to do that, but I guess he tried.

There are two things I despise, one of which is waiting, and the other is depending on other people to do what they say they are going to do, and to be there when they say they are going to be there.

The thing to do is to put on a parka and go for a bike ride with my broken camera. As for the minivan, the right front brakes are metal on metal, which stops the vehicle just fine, but it is incredibly irritating, and just when I could do with a little less stress. I plan on moving, and then having it towed. I have to keep insurance on it, or after thirty days, I become a ‘high risk driver,’ and they have the right to charge me $5,000 for car insurance. I haven’t had a ticket in fifteen years, I have never had an accident, and I have thirty-seven years of experience. Oddly enough, I have no idea if I will ever have a vehicle again. City buses take two and a half hours to go four miles locally, so the reader may understand my concern. (You could crawl faster.)

This impacts my life as the government has determined that daily attendance at soup kitchens and food banks is the permanent solution to the challenges faced by all of the adult independent disabled persons of this province. They will hear more about that this October.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on the blog posts, art or editing.