.

Friday, April 1, 2011

New Post: Spring Cleaning

c2011Shalako

I've been doing a bit of spring cleaning and I finally got around to doing something I have been meaning to do for a very long time.

Opening up the old dresser, which was about forty inches wide and thirty-two inches tall, I pulled out the bottom two drawers, which were awfully heavy and hard to handle. They hit the floor with a crashing sound.

I put in a fresh garbage bag and put the industrial-grade can right there and started throwing stuff out. It was bad. Taxes going back fifteen years, an old survey map, a deed of title and sale, and even worse stuff.

I mean old photos, stories and clippings from my youth. Old maps, including all the channel-depths of Lake St. Clair, old fishing and trapping manuals...it was bad. Did you know at one time I was going to go up north and claim some land and start prospecting for gold? It sounds nuts, doesn't it? But I was younger, stronger, healthier and maybe just a tad more optimistic back then. It'll never happen now, of course.

What the hell.

In some ways it was good to just chuck all that old stuff from the past and let it go. Let it frickin' rot!

It was like some big weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I filled up a couple of large garbage bags, and the pair of them probably weighed about ninety pounds.

You wouldn't want to carry that crap too far on a hot summer's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on the blog posts, art or editing.